Saturday, March 13, 2010

Going Commercial

I have decided to add Amazon Associates to this for the one reason of giving people an easy way to buy "My Stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor. I may get rich on this one yet. I doubt it, but I think it is an important book and did a lot to get my head around what happened. And what happened to me was nothing like what happened to her. Strokes come in two varieties, clots and bleeds. In a clot, like mine, a blood clot cuts off blood to a section of the brain. Jill had a bleed, where a blood vessel bursts and cut off blood to a section of the brain and causes the additional problem of hemorrhaging and swelling.

But my little brother emailed me that he had just heard of the book and read the following about it: I have just finished reading an amazing book called "My Stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor. It's about a neuroscientist who ironically suffers from a large hemorrhagic stroke into the left side of her brain. She writes about the process of recovery and what it was like to feel at one with the universe, and concerned with the now, rather than thinking about yesterday and tomorrow. She is also given a talk on Oprah -- if you wish to hear her speak. I am always needing to remind myself to be more "right brained" letting the energy of the universe fill me and extend it to those around me. When my left-brain scripts are operating more strongly than they should I have filled with anxiety, regrets, resentment.

I understand it is good if you haven't had the stroke and I wish strokes on no one. Now the problem is actually getting this to work as I am a little thick doing this sort of thing. It may take a couple of days to get this to work. I can always blame it on the stroke.

I have mixed feelings about this, I like Amazon and buy from them regularly. I am becoming more and more of a locavore shopping for anything. But as far as books I can deal with Barnes and Noble or Borders, and neither is really local. And the selection/inventory is wonderful. It still bothers me some, but I may link some other books that are important to me. We will see where it goes, but if you can please buy locally.

No comments:

Post a Comment