Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Bicycle Continued...

It was another beautiful day here, it's now after 6 and the sun is still shining and the temperature is down to 59. Not too shabby for the land of 61 sunny days. I put shorts on and got the bike out again, determined to do a little better than yesterday. After the obligatory pumping of the tires which I didn't do a very good job of yesterday, I headed off again. Well after grabbing sunglasses, putting on the helmet and downing a couple of cheddar Cheez Curls.

I headed down the hill and into the neighborhood I roam on foot with the Wonderdog. After taking the first turn a little quickly and almost heading across a lawn I settled down aided by a gradual up hill. A couple of turns later I was heading down Hamilton and then onto Rt. 31F, sharing the road with traffic and more than a few trucks.

I cut back onto the road leading home pedaled some and then walked the bike up the hill. Walking, I did not feel defeated at all. I had ridden the road, it felt pretty good and my balance wasn't too bad. Speed and strength would come.

I went out a little later and for the fun of it, clocked it, I picked up a new battery for the computer but have not had a chance to put it in. I rode a total of 2.4 miles. My friend BMike started his season with a 36 mile ride but he also rides from Burlington to Utica. I do have a few years on Mike but with its meager mileage today was a major triumph.

It ranks up there with the first time I ran around a court and hit a tennis ball again and the first time I drove more than an hour alone. Maria and I were talking this morning about how things feel for me, I felt exhausted yesterday, but it may have been a combination of things. Everything I do again I am relearning in some way. I don't know how or what, but it is mentally taxing. Somethings come right back it seems. I quickly regained all the strength on my right side, which I dragged for a short time after the stroke. Since I started this blog I realize I can't type nearly as well with my right hand as I could before. Well I had a pretty good idea of that, but didn't type that much.

I'm not letting it stress me out, I am relearning and practicing. Maria picked up another book on strokes and brain injuries, where the stroke hit me, had it been worse, I would not be walking or talking. Instead, after 9 months, I can ride my bike. I count my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment