Monday, June 21, 2010

A Year Ago Today

I got up around 5:30 or 6 and took a shower. I remember moving slowly and everything I did was labored. I got dressed but sat down on the bed, I think and then may have crawled back in the bed. Somewhere along the line I got Maria to take me the doctor I had never met. Yesterday when I put on my shorts I missed a belt loop, which I apparently I did that morning.


The doctor couldn't see me until 10, since at that point I still believed it was Bell's Palsey or something minor. It never crossed my mind it was a stroke, though I think Maria knew. On the second trip they took my blood pressure, which was off the charts, looked me over and sent me to the hospital.


In triage Nurse Cratchet laughed about the Bell Palsey and a short time later I was on my way for a CT scan, Honestly the day got fuzzy from there and I can't say I remember much about the day or the rest of my hospital stay. The MRI reminded me of Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music, but I can't say I've listened to much of it or why. The whole thing was surreal.


A year later I am coming along. I am much stronger, don't need as much sleep and am active. My speech is getting a little better. I would not wish a stroke on anyone but they happen. Hopefully I will overcome the fatigue and the speech problems soon. Hopefully in another year I will be working and feeling better. I don't think I will have another stroke.

No comments:

Post a Comment