Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Reading Aloud

Is working well enough that I am exhausted. And this is not a bad thing. I have done this for roughly an hour or more for two days and it is wiping me out, but I can already feel little improvements. Well, sort of...

It is worth a shot, since even a speech evaluation is prohibitively expensive, let alone therapy. Sadly, medicine is inflated to a point where it is unaffordable and then discounted for insurance companies. Blame it on drug companies, malpractice suits, equipment or just plain profit seeking, everyone is loosing on this deal. I seriously doubt the doctors are getting rich, although some may be. Some of us get rich and others don't with anything you do, so I don't give that much stock. The drug companies post big profits, but they do have pretty high expenses with only a small portion of the drugs they start testing ever getting approval.

The insurance companies could be the evil ones and probably are, but they have layers and layers of people needed just to create the havoc needed to approve and deny claims. (I recently had two claims denied for non-payment of premium, when services were provided before the premium was due. When other claims had been denied I called a number I wasn't supposed to have and got a claims representative who wasn't supposed to speak to me and told me that I couldn't do anything about the denied claims, the doctor's billing office could only do that.)

I don't know how the Obama health care bill will affect all of this, but I think it is fair to say that what ever it started out as has been sufficiently diluted. I hope I am wrong. I haven't heard much about it lately. I would suggest we throw it all out though and start from scratch. As a young college student, I was part of a tongue in cheek group called "Nihilists for a Better America," closely allied with "Anarchists for Stronger Government". Sometimes you have to call it quits and just begin fresh.

In all this I am reading Yvon Chouinard's business philosophy, at times tempered by Jon Abrams and his and my reading of Stewart Brand. As Brand said initially, "We are as gods and we may as well get good at it" which he changed to "We are as gods and have to get good at it." I am the lord of my situation. I want to talk normally again, I must take it into my own hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment